Sunday, May 16, 2010

"Why We Crave Horror Movies"

Are we all "mentally ill" as Stephen King would say? Are we all hiding from our true feelings and emotions by hiding behind our screams and spine chilling jumps? Do our minds thirst for a "good scare" as we give our soul to the film writers who posses what we urn for? I, as an individual who loves scary movies, is never one to jump in a movie theater. As I sit at the edge of my seat, crunching on a bag of freshly popped pop corn and smacking on a box of sour patch kids; I wait. I wait for the creeping music to climax. I wait for the killer to mysteriously come from around the corner as the victim stands oblivious to their quaking death. Sometimes I notice my eyes widening as my heart beat speeds to the pace of an anxious roller coaster ride. Is this really "fun" to me? I can only imagine how it feels to be the one in the movie. I assume there heart is thumping through their chest twice as hard as mine. This thrill that I engage in, certainly craves my inner "mentally ill" personality.

"Horror movies are made to deliberately appeal to all that is worst in us"
-Stephen King

Everything about this statement is completely true. Killing in cold blood for most of us "mentally ill" individuals is something we enjoy watching for we can put ourselves in the movie without physically doing the actions and reaping from the consequences.

Stephen King's writing style is not meant for the average individual to understand. You to have to enjoy what he enjoys in able to understand the theory behind it all. He is a very blunt writer but carries his words with a lot of power that forces a distinct thought or idea to linger in your mind and follow you as you fade deeper and deeper into the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment